Wednesday, November 11, 2009

10:37pm

I would like to start by saying that this live-blogging has brought out the very, very, very best in my commentboxes. People, my god, you are HOT!! I just sat down and read your comments, laughing hysterically, then Mr. CB sat next to me and we read them together, out loud, and laughed together. You make me so happy!!

I think I'm going to do a live-blog every Day One, it's better than a couple of Naprogesic, hot wheat-bag, Imigran, vodka and staying in bed all day.

For sure. It's the CURE.

Now, Book Club.

My BC is not the usual BC. We pool our resources to purchase 1 or 2 newly published books every month, then take turns reading them. The suitcase is the accumulation of several years' books, with many many cullings along the way. Each month one of us gets about a dozen books out on spec from the local bookstore, we vote, and then return the rejects the next day.

What I ate:
Zig-zag twisties
Banana lollies
Strawberries & cream lollies
Snakes (but not the green ones, I hate those)
A slice of lemon tart
Some grapes
Some mango
Lemon tea

Burp.

I can't remember much about any of the books. I told them that I had read "Her Fearful Symmetry" and loved it, but they told me that they agreed with Badger and that I didn't know what the fuck I was talking about. Did that use of the f word sound convincing?

Na. I know. I'll keep trying.

Then I told them how I also read "The Neighbour," and that it was a piece of crap, but a really great read. It was kind of like those banana lollies, highly addictive, fake, not especially good for you and leaves you with a strange aftertaste. Then they talked about a few books, can't remember them. Honestly, I can't. It was after my bedtime!

I chose a book,which I'm quite excited about. Then we argued about how to parent teenagers, different nail-polish colours, and whether we should cull any of the books.

I was the last one to leave, it's the only way I can be sure they won't gossip about me. I'm a professional Book Clubber my dears, profesh.

Good night all, and thanks for being there for me on Day One. Mwah xxxx

10 comments:

KPB said...

Pfft-the only thing redeeming about that book club was the lemon tart. Clearly someone made something. I mean, I'm all for an Orange Night (think Twisties, Fanta - although Sunkist is better, Cheezles) but at a bookclub night? Everyone should be baking for that.

Badger said...

I cannot believe I missed the live blogging! Stupid time difference!

That One said...

Oh, happy day! What fun this was. It's something I might steal for my own blog because, well, I'm not very original, now am I? Don't answer that.

Anyhoodle.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

YO Badger, I know it's not easy with the Aussie but girl needed you there, for books, on DAY ONE!
Well, we all tried all our best here to cheer her up and apparently we helped.
Yay!
So check this out. While Eleanor was getting ready for bedtime, I was going out for lunch and you in the US were just getting up from bed. How cool is that?
Paola

eurolush said...

You need to invite Kim to your next book club meeting. Then you'll be guaranteed some good food. I'm just sayin.

Frogdancer said...

YOU DON"T LIKE GREEN SNAKES???!!!?

Ye gods, woman... That;s the best flavour! Maybe you should invite both Kim AND my good self to the next book club. Then you'd have baked goods and no snake wastage.

librarygirl said...

I love the lolly menu. The book club I was in a few years ago turned into a competitive bake off every time which drove me bonkers.

Mary said...

I kept getting distracted so didn't keep up properly with the live blog - but the bits I read I loved and now I am going back to read the live blogs.

Which of course are now no longer live!

Julia said...

I missed the live blogging! Keep us posted about the next meet up, I'd love to join.

Sömsmånen said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, I'm sure I'd have a great time there with you - though I only recognize (hastily) Kate Atkinson from the photo. You look smashing in all your photos!