Thursday, December 4, 2008

Minette, my brother and a friend's good news

Firstly, it looks like "Poor Minette - The Letters of Two French Cats" is the clear winner with a score of four from Mary, Trashalou, Laura and B. Sorry Badger, but at least there'll definitely be no Flaubert as Anna seems to dislike him as much as you do. I shall try to get to the others mentioned, and I am especially keen to answer Tuli's question regarding the Coffee Houses book as it seems to be the most worn of all the books in the collection. Plus I just know the Coffee Lady would love it too.

Thing is, I can't do any of that book stuff in this post because I am exhausted. It will have to wait. You see, my brother is at the moment standing in the library with my son and playing Guitar Hero!! My brother, the one who lives in Israel, with his wife, and four kids. My brother, who surprised me by just showing up at my front door on Tuesday afternoon!!!!! I do have a crazy, travelling family!! I had come back from visiting Duyvken and Kim, had stopped at the supermarket on the way home, and had begun to unpack the shopping when the phone rang. My brother is on the phone. He asks me what I'm doing, I answer that I'm putting away the shopping, he offers to help me, I laugh and say "Sure, come over and put the milk and juice in the fridge," and he says "OK, but don't you think you should open the door for me?" and then I hear the doorbell ring.

Unbloodybelievable.

I also just found out that a friend of mine is expecting a baby in June! I love hearing news like that, it makes me suddenly sit up and take notice of life, life, life!

Many months ago I wrote some 100 word segments about pregnancy. It was originally for a contest that was being held on a website called "Smith"...sorry...too tired to do links...but you can find it easily enough via Google I think. Anyway, I feel like sharing one of them with you today, in celebration of my beautiful friend and her beautiful news:

SUSAN’S SECRET

Susan is so very happy, but she’s finding it hard to know, whether to tell her secret, or to wait for it to grow. The secret comes with a time limit, and she knows this very well, for no matter when she says it, the secret will show and tell. Soon that sweet little secret will dress in flesh and bone, it will cry and sleep and smile, in its brand new shape and form. You see, bodies hide many secrets throughout the years they give, but only women have the power to make a secret live.

7 comments:

trash said...

Surprises and secrets! I love them, they make me happy :-)

Duyvken said...

Eleanor, that is beautiful! How long will your brother be staying?

RW said...

Enjoy your surprise visit!

Mary said...

His visit/surprise was like something out of a movie.

Enjoy dear Eleanor...

Sömsmånen said...

What a wonderful brother! What a day, secrets and surprises...
I'm looking forward to experience some first hand Hanukka - so good to share holidays!

Anonymous said...

I love that your brother suprised you like that!
Do we get a peek at him? Does he know of this lovely blog of yours? And does he share your gift of writing? So many questions...

Have a wonderful wonderful visit!!

The Coffee Lady said...

I think I would likely have been banned from the Old English Coffeehouses for having the wrong kind of hormones. But I would very much like to poke my nose up against the glass.

I vote for the husbands one.