Sunday, March 22, 2009

Parting

My grandfather and I had to say goodbye a lot. Ever since I can remember Grandpa lived in a different country from me, which meant that we visited each other and parted from each other many times. Grandpa always had a crisp white handkerchief in his pocket, and when he would be leaving me (usually at the airport, about to walk through to passport control) he'd take it out and wave it. Then, because he liked to be funny and make me laugh (and, yes, embarrass me) he might pretend to cry and wipe his eyes melodramatically. Sometimes he also proclaimed in a booming voice "Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow."

So, naturally, when I visited Suse and last week and found myself saying goodbye to her and Muppinstuff at the train station I quickly rummaged through my bag, found an old tissue and made them laugh. Thanks Muppinstuff for capturing that moment so perfectly, it makes me laugh out loud and it reminds me of how much Grandpa loved to laugh as well.

5 comments:

Janet said...

that was such a hilarious moment Eleanor, and I loved being there with the camera.... I'm so glad if it helps you at this time in some way... somehow I think you have inherited his zest for life and love of the funny!

Jodie said...

What a wonderful memory to have and a beautiful legacy for you to share with others.

Anonymous said...

Love that photo. Muppinstuff really captured the moment beautifully. Perfectly hilarious. The look on both of your faces makes me laugh.

It's clear you've inherited your grandfather's great love of life, Eleanor, and his charming personality to boot.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

The Coffee Lady said...

Good to see you've got a book in your hand to help you get over the tears - or the giggles...

Esti said...

i love that goodbye picture!