Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Play Misty For Me

Sexy psychological thrillers, when done well, can be fabulously entertaining. Watching a good thriller is a type of meditation for me, I forget all about myself and my petty worries, allowing myself to be transported into a state where I only care about one thing - the plot of the film.

You know it's silly, but you just can't help yourself, you're scared and intrigued and completely engulfed in the world of the film. How hard would it be to create that in a script through structure and dialogue?!! You'd have to keep asking yourself "Is she scary enough?" "Is that frightening enough?" etc etc. My teacher told me that if you want to write a thriller then you have to commit to the genre 100%. The audience will expect to be thrilled, and you'd better deliver on that, or else. Ahem.

I really like the idea of sitting down and trying to think of the scariest scenarios, and then writing them down in some sort of story form.

But you know the best thing about studying thrillers? You discover that Clint Eastwood, when he was young, looked EXACTLY like Hugh Jackman in Wolverine:

3 comments:

Duyvken said...

That's one of my all time favourite films. So daggy, I know, but I always enjoy Clint Eastwood movies. He kind of reminds me of dad :-)
I might have to rent that this weekend!

Julia said...

Off the subject, but I wanted to wish you a Happy Rosh Hashana!

Anonymous said...

So you are still here! I check your blog daily, always looking for new interesting posts.
Big hug right back at you!
Paola