Friday, June 6, 2008

Apron strings

It's been a difficult Friday morning. My daughter is sick, nothing major, don't worry. But I worry. So I was driving her from a school activity to the doctor's office, and I was trying to keep focused on being upbeat. So, naturally, I started thinking about the bloggers I know, and that started me thinking about aprons, and my daughter sitting beside me made me think of apron strings.

Then, it hit me, I used to listen to a song called "Apron Strings" (by Everything But The Girl) many years ago. I used to listen to it during the year that I was supporting a dear friend who was trying very hard to fall pregnant. The song made me cry, but in a good and cleansing way, so that I could continue being supportive.

If you like, you can listen to the song below, but it's the second song, so you'll have to fast-forward to 2:55.

Oh, and by the way, regarding the homework assignment from the previous post - many of you will be taking notes back to your parents this weekend. I'm just saying.



Apron strings
Hanging empty crazy things
My body tells me
I want someone to tie to my
Apron strings

Apron strings
Waiting for you pretty things
That I could call you
I want someone to tie to my
Lonely apron strings.

Your baby looks just like you when you were young
And he looks at me with eyes that shine
And I wish that he were mine
Then I go home
To my
Apron strings
Cold and lonely,
For time brings
thoughts that only
Will be quiet when someone clings
to my apron strings.

And I'll be perfect in my own way
When you cry I will be there
I'll sing to you and comb your hair
All your troubles I will share

For apron strings
Can be used for other things
Than what they're meant for
and you'd be happy wrapped in my
Apron strings

You'd be happy wrapped in my
Apron strings

3 comments:

blackbird said...

I hope your daughter is better this evening...


(I didn't DO it. It was Eurolush.)

Mary said...

Everything but the girl? One of my favourite bands. Very favourite.

Anonymous said...

I used to LOVE Everything But the Girl. Whatever happened to them?

Sorry to hear the young Miss Comment Box is ill. Hope she's feeling better now...

(Paddle blackbird NOW)