Friday, November 5, 2010

Haval al hazman

Please note, the "H" in the Hebrew Phrase Of The Day is pronounced with a guttural clearing of the throat.

Literal translation:

"It's a shame about the time."

Actual meaning:

"What an absolutely awesome time!!!"

Example:

"We went to Neve Tzedek today, what an amazing place, haval al hazman!!"


Most road signs in Israel are in Hebrew, Arabic and English.


Tel-Aviv is not a pretty city, this is a photo I took as we entered the city. This style of apartment building is typical of the entire country, as are the water tanks (each of which is attached to a solar panel).

But I do love the smell, the dirt and the chaos.

We drove by the Mediterranean for a few minutes and arrived at Neve Tzedek - me, Miss CB and my mother, three generations off for a brief adventure. It has been unseasonably hot - 30 degrees today! We took it slow and stayed on the shady sides of the streets.
Very beautiful buildings abound, many of them beautifully restored.



A man inside makes wooden chairs. The shutters are covered in fine sawdust:

A shop which sells only chickpea chips (made in the kitchen next door):

Almost all of the streets are named after famous people, this plaque explains that Shalom Shabazi was "The Zionist poet living in the diaspora of Yemen in the second half of the 17th century." Shabazi the STREET has some awesome cafes, boutiques and a fab bookstore called "A Simple Tale." If you have never read any of S.Y. Agnon's short stories I highly recommend them, many have been translated into English. Agnon is a unique experience.

This is "The Righteous Rabbi Yehuda Street - A kabbalist and exegesist who was the leader of 1500 rabbis who travelled from Poland to Jerusalem in the 17th century."


Citrus and olive trees on the balcony and roof:

The letters decorating this building denote the year in which it was built - 5689 - which is 1928/1929. When you don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah then you don't necessarily start to count your years from the time of his birth.

We stopped at a beautiful restaurant for lunch, and I shall post photos of food, YES, FOOD. But tomorrow. Because I am exhausted!

Off to bed.

E xxxx

4 comments:

Paola said...

Oh thank you Eleanor! I really LOVE the insight you're giving us, I am learning so many things besides Yiddish.
But I did know about the guttural H! ANd I am pretty good at it too, if I may say so.

Suse said...

I am diligently practising the guttural H.

And oh, that archway with the bouganvillea and the blue door. Sigh ...

eurolush said...

I'll bet it's not a good idea to have a mouthful of food when trying to say "haval al hazman" for the first time. Could get messy.

Great photos! I've been studying them carefully. Love the old buildings...the archways...the shutters...the citrus and olive trees.

Can't wait to see what you're eating. Though it kills me. Especially when there's nothing to eat here in the house. It's really cruel of you.

That One said...

Dearest Eleanor, I think you need to do videos of the Hebrew Phrase Of The Day. I *think* I'm pronouncing it correctly but I can't be sure!

Tutorial, please!

Cheers,
T

PS - I'm loving your photo tours. :)