Saturday, July 9, 2011

The commentbox support structure

Thanks Duyvken for your help with the title of this post (aka "commentbox support structure"). Now everyone go and look at her latest photo of JW, so so good.

Also please take a moment to sit in silence in front of your screen and contemplate the tragic loss to the blogosphere of one Eurolush. I've had to go cold turkey since she left Germany, and I'm not doing very well. Doctor says the shakes and sweats will soon stop, but this rehab crap is not really working for me. Nobody can ever take Eurolush's place.

I'm writing this commentbox support structure from my bed at 9am Saturday. In front of me the window shutters are wide open, framing the bright sunny sky and the treetops - a wattle in full yellow bloom and young pinkish eucalyptus leaves. I love a Sydney winter. When I first arrived in Australia from Israel (I was 8) it was winter, and I couldn't get over how strange it was to see super-bright sunshine and feel the cold. Sydney winter sun is one of my favourite things in the whole world.

I just finished writing my first draft of the rom-com!! It was well received and I'm now into what is known in the industry as "a polish". Do not be fooled by the friendly vibe of the word "polish", it's fancy producer-talk for a quick rewrite, but it's not bad... you see, the great thing about screenwriting is that you always get a chance to rewrite. It's actually a luxury to know that what you write is always a "draft" and will change depending on your collaboration with producer, director, actor etc etc. It is never, by definition, "perfect" or "finished." Phew.

I pity the novelist who sits in her room for years working by herself. I get three months to write all on my lonesome and then I get to sit in a cafe and talk about my imaginary characters with a producer. We spent two hours discussing characters I had made up!!! Only the other day I was told that something I had my character do was "out of character," and you know what? I agreed with the criticism and changed it accordingly, and then I also had a good laugh because I had apparently written a character who was so fully rounded that the reader actually thought she KNEW him and could PREDICT what he would or wouldn't do. I'm very happy.

One of my characters loves makeup, so I've had to do research. Poor me, hanging out at cosmetics counters, chatting with makeup girls and guys, testing products. I even started using cosmetics as rewards for myself. Upon finishing each act, I allowed myself to purchase one item. And a few besides. This is the first time I have ever been paid to write so my spending has taken on a different feel.

I know, you want to know what I bought.

Illamasqua lipstick in "Climax." It's very matte, so I've had to be vigilant with my lip balm usage. I wouldn't usually go for this type of pink but the sales guy was the most gorgeous, sweet young man and talked me into it. I love it. Illamasqua's motto "make-up for your alter ego," how good is that? Also love their nailpolish colours, especially the bright green "Smash".

Becca creme blush in Turkish Rose is fab. Becca's an Aussie brand which is actually more popular overseas. Go figure.

I use Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser every day now. LOVE.

My new beauty guru, attention ladies, because this gal will change your beauty life as you know it, please give a warm welcome to Miss Zoe Foster. She just came out with a book which I highly recommend - "Amazing Face." I've bought a copy for myself, my daughter, my nieces, and I even went and stood in line to meet Zoe and have her sign them. Check out her videos on that Penguin link, she's adorable. And her blog-writing style is so funny. Not even close to being as witty and funny as Eurolush, but, you know, nobody comes close to our beloved Eurolush.

My new fave fashion blogger is The Man Repeller.

My most inexplicable addiction is to the tweeting of the Swatchaholic. She lives in Germany, loves her Starbucks, and is totally crazy-mad-loopy about nail polishes. I'm not that into nailpolishes (I still bit my nails) but something about this gal makes me happy, maybe her constant optimism as each new season brings with it new jellies, duochromes, dupes and lemmings.

In other breaking news.... Miss CB and I are heartbroken. We had been relying on Natalie Portman to choose a "real" name for her baby boy. In a world in which Apple and Egypt have become acceptable names for innocent, blameless babies we thought Natalie would lead the way to a better, rational naming world. Not so. Do not be fooled by well-meaning and politically correct journalists, "Aleph" is NOT and NEVER HAS BEEN a Hebrew/Jewish name for a child. It is the name of the first letter of the alphabet, as A, B and C are in English. Sure, it has esoteric meaning, I studied Jewish Mysticism in university and yes.... all Hebrew letters have a great deal of profound religious significance..... but that doesn't mean that tattooing them on your body (I'm looking at you Posh) is the way to go. Neither is using them as names. Rant over.

Or maybe not. Because, you know what? There are so many beautiful Biblical names to use that hearken back to matriarchs and patriarchs and heroes of the Jewish world. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Jesse, David, Michael, Saul, Samuel, Noam, Itamar, Joshua, Solomon. For starters. Just saying.

And perhaps the coffee I just drank was a tad too strong. I seem to be ranting.

Signing off.

E x

11 comments:

Mary said...

The most delicious blog post from our beloved Eleanor.

I have missed you so much.

xxx

And of course they loved your writing. We all do.

Frogdancer said...

Rant away.

If I ever had another baby, I'd call it Clock.

Because I'd be watching it all the time.

Paola said...

We've already missed Eurolush.
Try to post more often, will ya?
Aleph. What a dissapointment.

trash said...

Aleph? Beaurgh.

@Frogdancer? Hahahahahahahaha.

blackbird said...

Helllloooooo!

I miss you!

(Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer is THE SHIT.)
(hmm, listen to me! such language.)

Suse said...

YOU'RE BACK!!!!!!!!

Duyvken said...

I love this. And I am in facebook mode because I want to Like everyone's comments!
I am super-excited to read this lovely post. In fact, in honour of our dear Lushie let me rephrase that - I am uber-excited to read this lovely post. It's delightful to have some of my favourite people gathered here in your comfy comment box. Strudels all round, hey?
xx

RW said...

So great to hear your voice. Truly.
So great.

Let me get this straight? You are being paid to write this script?

Wowza.
How did I miss that tid bit of news.

good on you.

come back soon.

KPB said...

But I love it when you get all ranty! and educative.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! and congrats on selling the rom-com! You studied writing, you practiced, and you succeeded -- not a common storyline, you know.

buy anabolic steroids said...

Informative articles and news, great to read all the responses and input, thanks for your contributions and opinions.